Mino District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TPM vs APM

5 posters

Go down

TPM vs APM Empty TPM vs APM

Post  MarioThePhenom Wed May 16, 2012 7:33 pm

tpm= tetrominos per minute
apm= attacks per minute/lines sent per minute(lpm)
^just in case you didnt know...

so what do you guys think is more important in multiplayer tetris, going for high tpm or going for high apm?
ffa and 1v1, and explain your answers please Smile
MarioThePhenom
MarioThePhenom

Back to top Go down

TPM vs APM Empty Re: TPM vs APM

Post  SirJeivus Wed May 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Mario,

Definetly APM. Someone who has a high TPM but misdrops a lot or can't send much only hastens their KO. APM measures, at least in the context of TOJ type games, the ability to make T-spins frequently and efficiently, the ability to downstack while adding lots, and the ability to maintain back to back.

Also, I know a lot of people who have faster 40L times than me but in terms of APM is different than 10 or more by average, leading to them losing more. Although APM is not the ONLY factor in deciding a person's skill, it's definitely a parameter which encompasses a lot of other details.

That's why my first few tournaments were separated by APM division. As we saw in the finals, the results were closely matched. Sprint times, being a "one off" parameter, only measures a maximum, not an average.

SirJeivus
Admin

https://minodistrict.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  virulent Thu May 17, 2012 1:10 pm

def apm for me as well. it's kind of an *opinion* question but considering only multiplayer tetris i don't feel like tpm is even an option Mad
i can def beat people who have 40Ls/avg tpms faster than mine
there are too many other aspects of tetris [b2bs, ds combos, etc] that effect apm than tpm so when a player is more efficient, i find it much more impressive than if a player's fingers move faster
i think this is more true for 1v1 than for ffa since a high tpm player in ffa will probably be able to last pretty long..especially if there's targeting since the high apm player would receive more of the garbage o.o unless i have that wrong..? also depending on whether or not the high tpm player is good at ds'ing n how much slower the high apm player is i suppose?
virulent
virulent

http://wedding.edwinzhen.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MarioThePhenom Sun May 20, 2012 11:16 am

looks like im gonna have to change how i play... Razz
the games where i slow it down to push my apm i dont last long at all, but the games where im playing faster then normal, and not going for tspins as much as i should, i last way longer and win.
i guess the ultimate solution would be to get better at t spinning

on a side note, my TOP apm is 45.7 average and lpm is 45.4(hexagon stats) is this good? my nullpo 40L is 31.53
MarioThePhenom
MarioThePhenom

Back to top Go down

Post  SirJeivus Sun May 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Hey Mario,

Don't use the hexagon stats. They are lifetime stats and are often non-representative. It's probably better to look at this:

http://tetrisonline.pl/top/profile.php?user=JeivusTW

Well, instead of JeivusTW, substitute it with your TOP username. This gives you your stats within the last 24 hours, which is a better indication of how you are playing.

What is considered "good" is relative. I'd think anything above 60 APM is considered good. 70APM+ is considered really good. Also, mass T-spinning is often not the best way to maximize APM. What I think is utilizing what anonymous calls "garbage doubles", meaning that you don't just clear singles by themselves unless you can string them in a combo or you are skimming to make a T-spin.

High APM players are usually efficient players. Efficiency is defined as APM/LPM. If you clear a lot of lines but don't add too much, it means that you're clearing too many singles, not connecting downstack too well or lacking the T-spin knowledge.

SirJeivus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MarioThePhenom Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 pm

i finally understand the truth behind downstacking Razz
and so i hover at around 50+ apm, that makes sense... lol
so the closer the lower your lpm and the higher your apm is, the more efficient of a player you are? what if they are roughly the same number
MarioThePhenom
MarioThePhenom

Back to top Go down

Post  SirJeivus Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 am

I am unsure what it means when they're both the same number. All I know is if there's a 10 or greater APM difference between two players, it's usually a landslide victory for the higher APM player in a 1 vs 1 match. This is a general rule of thumb I have observed when playing others.

SirJeivus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  virulent Tue May 22, 2012 12:40 pm

if you think about it..lpm=apm could mean the person is doing tetris, single, tetris, b2b tetris single and repeating..?
i rarely see people with lpm=apm these days since spin knowledge is much more available than it used to be
if you can get your apm up, you shouldn't be losing as much since your lpm doesn't really change too much unless you're thinking too hard :p

so for instance, in jason's case he has 77.3853 apm/57.148776 lpm=1.3541 efficiency
the closer you are to 1 the less efficient you are..
usually the only people who have lpm>apm are the ones that either concentrate much more on speed or play games that don't reward spins [aka when i switched over from tnet or some c2 only players]
virulent
virulent

Back to top Go down

Post  lucho Tue May 22, 2012 10:01 pm

People slower than me but with higher apm destroys me, so apm I think is more important on multi

lucho

Back to top Go down

Post  rbin Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 pm

LPM is the number of lines you clear in a minute right? how do you compute LPM? i thought at first LPM is TPM. Razz

rbin

Back to top Go down

Post  virulent Sat May 26, 2012 3:50 am

LPM = 2.5 x TPM [since you require 2.5 tetriminos to clear 1 line aka 10 minos since a field is 10 columns wide]

i know there's a difference in how TOJ calculated LPM vs how nullpo calculates TPM but i can't remember what it was exactly..also not sure if it carried over to TOP.
virulent
virulent

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum